There are 3 elements that make a getaway in another country worth of a true adventure: Culture, Gastronomy and Activities. Our tour has all 3 of them included in order for you, the traveller, to get the best experience in this 3-day adventure. So, all you need to do is bring your appetite for both adventure and traditional products, and we take care of the rest.
Date: 27/01/2018 – 30/01/2018
☑ Accommodation (hotel 3*/traditional guest house)
☑ 2 x breakfast
☑ 3 x dinner
☑ 3 x lunch/ lunch box
☑ Snowshoe hiking equipment
☑ Activities highlighted in the itinerary
☑ All local transports within the program
☑ Airport transfer
☑ Entry fees to the objectives within the tour
☑ Professional English speaking
☑ Uncharted Team group leader that will assist
you throughout the tour (English speaking)
☑ This adventure is a package deal; therefore,
it provides you with coverage from
Travel Guarantee Fund
(Rejsegarantifonden) – see your benefits
☑ Cancellation – more details
☐ Transportation to the starting
point of the tour, Cluj-Napoca t/r
*what package includes: ☑/ *what package does not include: ☐
• Your adventure is going to be unique. Hence you won’t be just “another brick in the wall” when it comes to travelling;
• Tour is suitable for families, couples, friends or individual, all with the same interest to discover a new culture in an interactive way;
• You get to experience the culture and traditions of Transylvania, as well as the landscapes surrounding it;
• The gastronomical experience consists not only of tasting the traditional products, but also learning how they are made and see where they come from, such as the sheepfolds on top of the mountains;
• It is an active way to discover a new culture, through a weekend getaway;
• High emphasis on sustainable travelling.
• A minimum level of fitness is required as the snowshoe hiking tour involves a fair amount of walking, allowing you to really get among nature;
• Temperatures in the winter can get to ca. -15°C, so make sure you have proper winter clothes;
• Even though the tour is suitable for families, some of the activities are not recommended for children bellow 14.
Welcome to the mysterious Transylvania. Kick off your adventure with your group leader, who is going to wait for you at the starting point of the tour, Cluj Napoca Airport. The adventure will start with a visit to the biggest and oldest salt mine in Romania, Turda Salt mine, 108m underground, dating from 1271. From there we will head towards the 2007 Capital of Culture, the city of Sibiu. The day will end with a gastronomical delight in terms of traditional food and placement at the Nobleman’s Pantry (Camara Boierului). The restaurant is the embodiment of tradition, culture and folk, starting from the interior designed and all the way to the food served.
On the 2nd day we will take the “Path of the shepherds” on an adventurous snowshoe hike. We will start the ascend from one of the traditional Saxon villages in Transylvania, Rau Sadului. We will head towards the “Ghihan” Peak (1360m) where, if the weather allows, we will have a traditional picnic with rustic bio products, just like the shepherds do. We will continue our hike to “Derjani” Peak (1290m) and from there our ascend back to the village of Rau Sadului. The tour will take around 6h (including breaks) and will have an altitude level difference of +670m /-670m. We will return afterwards to Sibiu, where, if you are not too tired, we will organise a pub crawl so that you can enjoy the night life of the city as well.
Our first activity of the 3rd day will be a treasure hunt quest around the old city. The quest has been designed in such way that it will get you through the historical old city and help you discover the story of Sibiu’s 7 towers that influenced the growth of the city. You will have to follow the given clues, and whenever you feel that you are in a struggle, our team will be ready to give you extra hints in order for you to solve the clues and continue your discovery. We will head afterwards to the village of Hosman, a true treasure in terms of traditions, culture and gastronomy. Here we will first visit an old saxon fortified church from the 13th century. The painted scenes inside the church invite us to a true journey into the fantastic world, but they also give us a lesson on life: zoomorphic characters, biblical or fantastic characters, supernatural beings and dramatic scenes draw our attention to the eternal struggle between good and evil, between matter and spirit, between divine and devilish. Our journey continues to the Old Mill in town, where we will be thought how to prepare bread and bake it in an old fashion manner. In the afternoon, we will head towards Cluj-Napoca where this adventure will end.
*For more details and insights of the tours, please check the Essential Information page.